Over the past few weeks I’ve had the pleasure of helping bring #CitizenGulf to DC. A few days after the project was announced, original CitizenGulf project member and DC’s very own tech leader, public speaking coach, and rockstar — Jill Foster – gave Social Media Club-DC a heads up and there was no way I was going to turn down the opportunity to get involved.CitizenGulf is Citizen Effect’s project which aims to help fishing families in the Gulf Coast affected by the oil spill to find a new, more sustainable future by providing education resources for their children.This post is not to urge you to attend your local event, or to donate, or submit your vote for the Pepsi Refresh idea benefiting this cause (See what I just did there?) This post is about all the positive things I have experienced, courtesy of all of those who have joined the cause in any way, shape or form.
If you follow me on Twitter, it’s obvious I’ve been a one-track mind these weeks. In fact, a friend jokingly said he didn’t think I was tweeting about #CitizenGulf enough… The fact is that from the minute we started to pull all possible resources together, I have not stopped feeling overwhelmingly grateful for everyone who has stepped up to the plate to show their support at the local and national level. To date, I have never experienced collaboration at this level.This post is to give everyone thanks.
- Geoff Livingston, for the conference calls, the resources, the encouragement, and the fearless leader action.
- Jill Foster, for the push and support to make this happen.
- Social Media Club-DC for all the backstage support.
- Busboys and Poets for agreeing to host us, donating the venue before I even asked, extending happy hour and doing whatever was necessary for our event to come together.
- Jen Consalvo and Frank Gruber at Shiny Heart Ventures and TECH Cocktail, for their kind donations and unquestioning support when we needed it the most.
- Leslie Bradshaw, Mike Jett, and the Jess3 team, for designing and donating the coolest, most gigantic backdrop my eyes have ever seen, and the quickest turnaround in the history of turnarounds.
- CitizenEffect founder, Dan Morrison, for being a leader in this cause, and agreeing to speak at the DC event to share the CitizenGulf story.
- Planet Green, via @MaiaKG, for donating cool giveaways to bring people out to the event.
- @HeidiEKMassey, @GloriaBell , and all the local #CitizenGulf organizers for sharing ideas and for the mutual support.
- @akmcquade, @SterlingsSmith, @TobySturgill, @JerzeyGrrl, @AlexPriest, and @dmbosstone, for humoring me and stepping up to the plate by agreeing to be auctioned off for a good cause, putting their love lives on the line.
- @Nakeva, and @Leilin, for their vision… Photographing our event 😉
Last but not least – thank you, ALL of you for reading this, supporting #CitizenGulf, sharing, retweeting, and not unfollowing me (though we’re still totally cool if you have) even though I have been such a broken record. I’ll be honest and say that 12 percent of why I wrote this was to share and try to explain why I haven’t been able to shut up about it.
I think I’m all set for the next 17 Thanksgivings 🙂